01 August, 2008

I've Heard of Blind Stupidity, but This Is Going A Bit Far

More proof that religion can be hazardous to your health (h/t Dispatches from the Culture Wars):

At least 50 people have lost their sight after staring at the sun hoping to see an image of the Virgin Mary, according to reports.

Alarmed health authorities in India's Kottayam district have set up a sign dispelling rumours of a miraculous image in the sky and warning of the dangers of looking into direct sunlight.

Forty-eight cases of sight-loss, allegedly caused by photochemical burns on the retina, have been recorded at St Joseph's ENT and Eye hospital in the region since Friday.

Despite warnings, and the potentially harmful effects of their actions, believers are allegedly still flocking to a hotelier's house in Erumeli near where the divine image is said to have appeared.

This conjures some interesting possibilities for sadistic fun. "Jesus is in my oven!" "I saw God in this blast furnace!" If only I were so cruel - I might be able to solve our frothing fundie problem.

Those damned morals. I thought atheists didn't have 'em, but there they are. Barstards.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh Dana, you warm the cockles of my heart with your spelling of "Barstard"

and when you get to be my age, your cockles need warming every now and then.

Anonymous said...

Excuse me, but I am a blind stupid, and I find this title to be HIGHLY OFFENSIVE!

Or something like that.

Wow. These people just... wow.